Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Not quite a Color Field: Playing around with movie stills and Image Macroanalysis in Javascript (IMJ)

My IMJ 
Gene Davis Phantom Tattoo, 1965

This weeks Ds106 assignment did not turn out exactly like I had hope, true to nature this is one that you have to follow the directions, and we all know that I fall a little short in that department.

I wanted to do something a little challenging, I thought. Then I stumbled upon this assignment, create

"Image Macroanalysis in Javascript"


what ever that is... But it looked cool, and reminded me of the great color field painters of the late 60's and early 70's. Much Like the street art and graffiti movements of today, color field painters objected the norms of art and produced works that were not at first accepted. Graffiti has been around for years as was color filed painting, the style branched off of abstraction in the 1940's, and was the first to be completely void of all absolute form. 

The assignment takes you to a web page created by Zach Walen, though it is very user friendly and easy to use, as mentioned you should probably follow the directions closely. You are directed to upload either individually or via a folder up to 9999 images or stills from your favorite movie. Well that's a whole lot of images, not being the most tech savvy, I copied about 7 images that I found of Stand and deliver and then made about 27 copies of each of those and placed them in a folder. This gave me just under 200 images, and I can say that I am not quite as impressed with my turn out as the suggested image on the assignment page of Ds106. 


I think the key to success here is to follow directions, and use 9999 or close to it of different images, this would then give you the colors and striation that is seen above. 

I think that I will have to do a little more research into film stills, and try it again. It could also be a fun little project for students to put together an artist body of work or their own, so even though it wasn't my favorite or as successful, still has potential to be used again. 

Have suggestions, or know how to capture an entire film in stills? I would love to hear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment